Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pickle Results

So we cracked open one of the pickle containers and the results were: Excellent!

They tasted a little vinegary, and strongly of dill and garlic (which was good). Also the texture was a little squishy, but that was due to the quality of the cucumbers I used, I think.

Anyway, here is the annotated recipe that I used:


2 1-liter jars, cleaned with boiling water
1.8 kg small cucumbers
1 L white vinegar
1 L water
250 g coarse salt
15 g pickling spices
4 garlic cloves
20 g fresh dill

Soak the cucumbers in ice water during the rest of the preparation

Combine the vinegar, water, and salt in a large pot and bring to a hard boil

While the brine is heating, peel the garlic cloves and chop in half

Once the brine is ready, evenly divide the garlic, dill, and pickling spices between the two jars, then pack the cucumbers tightly in the jars.

Pour the boiling brine over the cucumbers until the jars are full.
Seal the jars and store in a cool, dry place for about 2 days.


Notes:

The cucumbers I bought in 600 g packs. I could have easily fit another pack split between the two jars.

I had not quite twice as much brine as I needed. Adding more cucumbers would cut the amount needed by even more.

As I said above, I think fresher cucumbers would have made the pickles crisper.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Only two days? I would have thought that they'd have to steep longer. Maybe that's an experiment you can try with the next batch.

Scott said...

I was surprised as well, but most of the recipes I found online said to only let them sit at room temperature for a couple of days. I certainly would not want them more pickled than they are.

However, they are now in the refrigerator, but still in brine, so they may get more pickled anyway.

Jen Haeger said...

They are delicious!!! I didn't realize how much I was missing a good dill pickle. Stupid gerhkins!